Installation Error for SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition

I installed SQLWATCH successfully on a DEV server that is running SQL 2014 SP2 Enterprise edition. When I attempted to install via Powershell on a server running SQL 2014 Standard edition, I get the following error:

Error SQL72014: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 25623, Level 16, State 3, Line 1 The event action name, “sqlserver.query_hash_signed”, is invalid, or the object could not be found

The script was attempting to create SQLWATCH_waits extended event. I checked the system tables and the event action does not exist on the Standard edition server. I does exist on the Enterprise server.

Has anyone encountered this? I suppose a workaround would be to script the XE from one server, change query_hash_signed to just query_hash, and create it on the new server. That is an really bad hack that will probably break other things in the process. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Hi,
We just had similar conversation over at Slack. I am going to have to dig into it to understand why it’s changed and to suggest a fix.

1 Like

Hi,
See if the solution in my comment works for you:

The fix will allow you to install SQLWATCH. You will lose collection of wait stats from XES but will still capture all the wait stas from DMV

1 Like